The Royal Exchange

Now (2006) The City Chambers

High Street, Edinburgh

 

Royal Exchange  -  High Street

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  Royal Exchange, The High Street

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

The Royal Exchange

Now The City Chambers

Engraving

This engraving appeared in Modern Athens, published 1829.

It was drawn by Thomas H Shepherd and engraved by J Johnstone.

Early History

The Foundation Stone for the Royal Exchange was laid in 1733 by George Drummond, Grand Master of the Freemasons of Scotland, but the building was not commenced until 1754. 

It was completed in 1761 at a cost of 30,000.    [Modern Athens]

Recent History

The City Chambers (formerly the Royal Exchange) is situated on the North Side of the High Street.  In recent years, it has been occupied by:

-  The City of Edinburgh Corporation (to 1975).

-  Edinburgh District Council (1975 to 1996).

-  The City of Edinburgh Council (1996 to 2006).

 

Engravings from Modern Athens  -  Published 1829

Index                 View from Craigleith                View from Calton Hill

Around Edinburgh

Distant Views

Old Town

New Town

Churches

Schools

Leith

 

 

Maps for Begbie photos

Central Edin - West    Central Edin - East    Edinburgh & Leith

Maps for photos:

1850s       1950s      2000 Central Edinburgh       2000 Around Edinburgh

Maps for engravings:

1829

Photographs

Around Edinburgh

 

 

 

__________________