St Andrew's & St George's Church

 

Ropes for Chiming the Bells  -  zoom-in (left)

St Andrew's & St George's church at the East End of George Street  -  Ropes for Chiming the Bells  -  zoom-in (left)

  Copyright: Peter Stubbs  -   please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Photograph taken 24 April 1993

 

Flash light was used for this photograph.

 

St Andrew's & St George's Church

Ringing the Changes and Chiming the Bells

During the 18th and 19th century, the bells of St Andrew's & St George's church were rung in changes, with the bells rotating through a full circle.

The change ringing ceased in 1903, when the bells were thought not to be in a fit state to continue. 

Instead, small clappers were attached to the bells, allowing them to be used to play hymn tunes, as in the picture above

.Ropes for chiming the bells in St Andrew's & St George's church

The bells have now [September 2003] been taken down from the church steeple, and are being returned to Whitechapel Bell Foundry for refurbishment and retuning.

  St Andrew's & St George's Church  -  September 2003  -  Removing the Bells - 2

They will then be re-hung in a metal frame in a new bell chamber in the church steeple, so that change ringing might be heard again, one day, from the church.

 

St Andrew's & St George's church:

Thumbnails       Background      Ropes     zoom-out     zoom-in - (left)     zoom-in - (right)

 

 

EDINBURGH:   Street Views + Buildings + Around Edinburgh

BUILDINGS:   Canongate Church     Canongate Tolbooth      Castle      Free Church     GPO     Holyrood      John Knox      Maule's      Monuments    Galleries     Old Town       Royal High School      St Giles     St Mary's     Scott Monument    Schools + Hospitals     Looking down

 

 

 

__________________