Edinburgh New Town

First New Town

Central Section

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  First New Town, central section

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Aerial View  -  2001

Detail from an aerial photograph of Edinburgh  -  XYZ Digital Map Co, 2001  -  First New Town, Central Section

  Copyright: XYZ Digital Map Company Limited
  Click here for details of web site.

Move west     Move east     Move north-east     Zoom-out

 

First New Town

Central Section

   Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  First New Town, central section

Enlarge this map

The First New Town of Edinburgh includes the regular pattern of streets bounded by:

-  Princes Street (to the south)

-  Queen Street (to the north)

-  Charlotte Square (to the west)

-  St Andrew Square (to the east)

Between the two squares, there are three streets running North-South:

-  Castle Street

-  Frederick Street

-  Hanover Street (in this map, joining Princes Street opposite the Earthen Mound.

This section of the map runs approximately from Castle Street to Hanover Street.

When this map was drawn, the National Galleries at the foot of The Mound (The Earthen Mound) had not yet been built, and West Princes Street Gardens had not yet been drained.  The gardens are shown as the North Loch.

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________