Edinburgh New Town

First New Town

West Section

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Detail from map of Edinburgh New town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  First New Town, west section

  Reproduced by courtesy of the National Library of Scotland.
Click here for further info, and for the NLS maps web site.

Aerial View  -  2001

Detail from an aerial photograph of Edinburgh  -  XYZ Map Co, 2001  -

  Copyright: XYZ Digital Map Company Limited.
  Click here for details of web site.

Move east     Move north     Zoom-in     Zoom-out

 

First New Town

West Section

   Detail from map of Edinburgh New Town  -  Kirkwood, 1819  -  First New Town, west section

Enlarge this map

The First New Town of Edinburgh includes the regular pattern of streets bounded by:

-  Princes Street (to the south)

-  Queen Street (to the north)

-  Charlotte Square (to the west)

-  St Andrew Square (to the east)

This section of the map runs approximately from Charlotte Square to Castle Street.  Charlotte Square now is a square (with just a little cut off each corner.  Was it ever built as a circle? 

St George's Church is still a prominent landmark on the western side of Charlotte Square, but is now used as West Register House.  The congregation has joined with St Andrew's congregation at the eastern end of George Street to form St Andrew & St George's Church.

The two buildings in the lower-left corner of the map are:

St John's Church (described as St John's Chapel)

St Cuthbert's Church (described as West Church)

 

Kirkwood Map  -  1819

Whole map        Sections        Streets + Buildings

 

 

__________________