Here is an enlargement of
the top right hand portion of Edinburgh & Leith section of a
map surveyed in 1812.
- This map covers
an area extending along the southern shore of the Firth of Forth (not
marked) from Newhaven past the old Leith Fort to Leith. It extends
and as far south as Bonnington Toll, which is about mid-way between Leith
- Newhaven is
shown as being a distance of 2 miles, 3 furlongs, 9 poles from the Tron
Church in Edinburgh's Royal Mile. In 1812, there appear to have been no road
directly linking Newhaven and Leith along the shore of the Firth of Forth.
- The course of
the Water of Leith is clearly shown as it approaches Leith from the