Central Edinburgh

Edinburgh Castle  -  National Galleries  -  St Giles Church

1830

This map appeared in the General Post Office Directory for 1830-31

Central Edinburgh  -  The National Galleries and Edinburgh Castle  -  1830 map

earlier map         later map        zoom-in          zoom-out

1830       1840        1850        1860        1870        1917        2001    all (slow)    thumbnails

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

  

Central Edinburgh  -  Key

Edinburgh Castle  -  National Galleries  -  St Giles Church

NOTE:  This key is based on the 1870 map

YELLOW = Princes St and the Royal Mile

     ORANGE= Hanover St and the Mound

GREEN = National Galleries

BLUE = Edinburgh Castle

RED = St Giles Church

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

Edinburgh

1830

UPPER CENTRE:  The Royal Institution (now named the Royal Scottish Academy).  Beneath it on the map, to the south, is the Earthen Mound.

LOWER LEFT:  Edinburgh Castle - Note that there is no road between the castle and the Grassmarket below it.

LOWER RIGHT:  The western end of the Old Town of Edinburgh.  The Old Town, with its high buildings and narrow closes extends (off the map to the right) down the High Street towards Holyrood Palace and Abbey.

More pages:  National Galleries

 

MAPS:  Full index

Outline Map of the British Isles MAPS: Short Index with thumbnails

 

 

 
 

__________________