(upper left) can be seen clearly in both the maps and on the aerial photo.
Just opposite Claremont Crescent is
of this area of the city was still at the design stage when the 1844 map
Housing, forming part of the 'Second
New Town of Edinburgh', was built in the Claremont Street and Bellevue Road
areas, running diagonally from lower left to upper centre in the photo.
Little can be seen on
the 1844 map of the proposed lay-out of the remainder of this area, except around Hope Crescent, now Hopetoun Crescent (lower right).
Much of this area has
been used for industry, including a Lothian Region Bus Depot (lower
centre) but over the last three years (to 2002) more housing has been
built to replace some of the industrial buildings in the lower right