John T Coats & Co
appeared in the trade directories as
at Broughton Street from 1924. But
the company has a much longer history as a pharmaceutical business.
An earlier pharmaceutical business was established at
59 Tollbooth Wynd, on the site of Old Tollbooth Prison, Leith, in 1867.
This was acquired by John T Coats in 1884.
John T Coats & Co. continued their photography
business until 1934. The
company’s pharmaceutical business continued until 1954.
Its activities included wholesale and export druggists, manufacturing,
analytical and retail chemists, aerated water makers, oil and drysaltery