Alan James Harper
Campbell Harper Productions
Alan James Harper joined his father, Campbell Harper, in the family
photography business, and in 1934 established Campbell Harper
Productions*, a company employing two men and a secretary, with studios in
an attic in Alva Street, Edinburgh.
The company made documentary, social interest, educational and industrial
films. During World War II they made home front propaganda and short
information films for the Ministry of Information and the Scottish
In 1946, the company, then employing:
- Alan Harper (producer)
- Henry Cooper (cameraman)
- Bill Fulton
- Willie McLean
- two office staff
moved, together with Edinburgh Film Guild to new premises, at 6/7 Hill
Street, with camera rooms, cutting rooms and a viewing theatre.
the 1950s, the company filmed football matches and other sport for the BBC
and Scottish Television.
James Harper ARPS retired in 1972, and his
company was sold then, as a going concern to Park Studios, but it survived
only until 1973.
Library of Scotland, Scottish Film Archive pages: Biographies
for Alan James Harper
(researcher: Carolyn Young) and
Productions (researcher Joan Allan).
Carolyn Young refers to the company as Campbell
Harper Films: John Allan refers to it as Campbell Harper