"This is, indeed, the first
cable tram built
in Edinburgh. It later became number 112,
although it doesn't appear to carry that number in the photo.
It was built in 1897 at Shrubhill
by the Tramway Company, who had before this built many horse cars in their
coachbuilding workshop at the back of Shrubhill.
It was slightly shorter than the
later 'standard' cable tram, most of which were built by outside
contractors. (The Company could probably not build a large number quickly
The building behind is the former
grain store and stables which stood until not that long ago north of
The car is on the horse car
tracks (no cable slot) which ran between Shrubhill Depot and the ancillary
buildings to the north.
Alan Brotchie, Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland: June 7,