St Andrew's House

Regent Road, Edinburgh

Floodlit for 'Victory Day'   -   June 1946

St Andrew's House  -  Government Offices built 1936-39 on the site of CaltonJail, Regent Road, Edinburgh  -  Floodlit for Victory Day, June 1946

  Scotsman Publications Ltd.   Click here for web site details.     Reproduced with acknowledgement to Edinburgh City Archives.

 Photo Ref  H2188                    Any reproduction requires  prior permission The Scotsman and of Edinburgh City Archives

 

Enlarge this photo

    St Andrew's House  -  Government Offices built 1936-39 on the site of CaltonJail, Regent Road, Edinburgh  -  Floodlit for Victory Day, June 1946

 

St Andrew's House

Location

St Andrew's House, Government Offices, was built, 1936-39 in Regent Road, immediately to the North of Calton Hill, on the site where Calton Jail once stood.

The dark silhouettes in this photo are:

LEFT:      The Governor's House from the old jail

CENTRE:  The Nelson Monument on Calton Hill.

Floodlighting

St Andrew's House in this photo was floodlit to celebrate Victory Day in June 1946.  This must have made quite a contrast to the six years of black-out that Edinburgh had endured during World War II, 1939-45

Here is another photo of the floodlit St Andrew's House:

St Andrew's House  -  Government Offices built 1936-39 on the site of CaltonJail, Regent Road, Edinburgh  -  Floodlit for Victory Day, June 1946

 

Calton Hill Regent Road

Around Edinburgh

    

 

__________________