This photo was taken
from the High Street, close to the NW corner of St Giles' church, looking up
the High Street towards the junction with George IV Bridge and
Bank Street. This junction is just behind the horse-drawn
The bronze statue on
the extreme-left and most of
the buildings still look very similar today. The statue is
to Walter Francis Montagu Douglass Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch
and 7th Duke of Queensferry KG (1806-1884). He is remembered
for the building of Granton Harbour on the Firth of Forth, three
miles to the north of the centre of Edinburgh.
The statue was
unveiled on February 7, 1888 (so this helps to date the photograph
In the Distance
These can just be seen in the background, through the mist:
- The tall spire
of the Assembly Hall, now 'The Hub' Festival offices.
Camera Obscura, close to Ramsay Lane and the Castle Esplanade.
Heart of Midlothian
The outline of the
Heart of Midlothian, can be seen on the cobble stones in front of
the old lamp post in the foreground.
This heart-shape mosaic marks the position of the Old Tolbooth,
built in the 15th century and demolished in 1817. The Old Tolbooth
was Edinburgh's administrative centre, prison and one of the
sites of public execution.
Further down the road, in front of the next lamp post, the large,
square, stone structure is a wellhead. It is one of four
wellheads that can still be found in the Royal Mile. This
page on thee
Royal Mile web site has photos of one of these wellheads and a
brief history of them. They were the only source of water
for residents in Edinburgh Old Town until 1820.