"Leith Assembly Rooms were a very popular
dance venue in the 1950s and early-1960s. They were open 5 nights a
week. The resident band was Alexander's. Their
signature tune was 'Alexander's Rag Time Band'.
That's where I cut my dancing teeth, after
attending the Saturday morning junior version of Stewarts at Abbey Mount.
"The venue changed to private functions in the
late-1960s after Beatlemania took over and big band sounds were no longer
Sadly, this was the last of the Leith public
function rooms, now gone. I attended many a wedding there. The
building has now been converted into flats."
Leith Private Function Suites
"Leith private function suites, now gone, are:
- Bakers Rooms, North Fort Street.
- Corner Rooms, Ferry Road / North Junction Street.
- Eagle Halls, Tower Street.
- Eldorado, Mill Lane.
- Lansbury Rooms, on the corner of Academy Street
(formerly Morton Street) and Duke Street.
- No 5 Masonic Halls, Queen Charlotte Street.
- Old Palace Ballroom, above Leith Woolworths.
- Unionist Rooms, Leith Walk."
Frank Ferri, Newhaven, Edinburgh:
January 15, 2011