The Black Watch Memorial

At the junction of Market Street and North Bank Street

Black Watch Monument  -  Detail

The Black Watch Monument at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street

  Peter Stubbs   peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                                      Photo taken 9 October 2005

 

Enlarge this photo

    The Black Watch Monument at the corner of Market Street and North Bank Street

The Black Watch Monument

The Royal Highland Regiment, the oldest of the Scottish Highland units became known as The Black Watch because of the dark colour of their tartan - mainly blacks, greens and blues.

The Regiment was raised in Aberfeldy in Perthshire in 1739.

This inscription appears on the west side of the Black Watch Monument:

TO THE MEMORY OF

OFFICERS

NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS & MEN

OF

THE BLACK WATCH

WHO FELL IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR

1899-1902

 

 

 

__________________