This view looks into
the courtyard with the City Chambers in the background.
In the centre of the
photo is a statue to Alexander and Bucephalus,
designed by John Steele in 1832 but not cast until 1883.
This statue stood in
the centre of the road in St Andrew Square opposite the junction
with George Street until 1916, when it was moved to its present
The Buildings of
Scotland: Edinburgh (John Gifford et al)