The City Chambers in
High Street, part of Edinburgh's Royal Mile, were based on a
design by John Adam. They were completed in 1761, forming
three sides around a courtyard open on the south side to the High
The Buildings of
Scotland: Edinburgh (John Gifford et al)
Here, the City
Chambers can be seen lit, and with a star on the roof, to
celebrate Christmas and New Year.
This photo was taken
at 6.30pm on December 29, 2008, just as the torchlight procession
was about to leave the Royal Mile, outside the City Chambers, on its
route via The Mound, Princes Street and Waterloo Place to the
bonfire and fireworks at the top of Calton Hill.