This postcard dates from the early 1900s. It has not been posted.
Tollbooth Wynd was named after the tolbooth that was erected on its
south side in 1545. The street must have had an earlier name as it
is believed to date back to the 13th century.
It was one of two 'Winds' or public ways leading to the shore.
- Tolbooth Wynd, from the east
- Broad Wind, from the west, following the course of Bridge
The Place Names of Edinburgh [Stuart Harris]