Patrick Thomson Postcard

Patrick Thomson's Drapery Store

at the corner of the Royal Mile and South Bridge

PT's Store at South Bridge  -  Before the move to North Bridge in 1906

Patrick Thomson post card  -  The Patrick Thomson Drapery Store at the junction of the Royal Mile and South Bridge, neat to the Tron Kirk

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Patrick Thomson Postcard

Patrick Thomson's Drapery Store

at the corner of the Royal Mile and South Bridge

The Postcard

This is typical of early Patrick Thomson post cards, incorporating the Edinburgh Coat of Arms.

This view looks along the cable-car tramlines to the south along South Bridge to the dome of Edinburgh University.  

The picture is possibly based on a photograph, but with line drawing and colouring added.

The Shop

Below is a brief history of Patrick Thomson's store in Edinburgh:

1845

Thomas Thomson opened his first Edinburgh shop was established at 2 Shandwick Place. [MC]

1848

Thomas Thomson's shop moved to 135 Princes Street.   [MC]

1889

Patrick Thomson opened a small shop around  selling lace, ribbons and haberdashery.   [GU]

1890

The shop at 89-91 South Bridge had now become Thomson & Allson.   [GU]

1900

The shop's name was again Patrick Thomson.   [GU]

This is the picture in the postcard above.  Patrick Thomson's is on the east side of South Bridge, immediately to the south of the High Street. 

The building later became a bank and is now a public house and hotel, named Bank Hotel.

1906

The shop moved to 15 North Bridge, Edinburgh  [GU]

This is one block further to the north, on the north-east corner of the High Street / North Bridge junction.

The store extended from the High Street to the Calton Hotel, opposite The Head Office of The Scotsman newspaper, now The Scotsman Hotel.

The address in the trade directories became 3-29 North Bridge.

1926

Patrick Thomson Ltd, was acquired by Scottish Drapery Corporation Ltd, Edinburgh  [GU]

1952

Scottish Drapery Corporation Ltd was acquired by House of Fraser Ltd, Glasgow  [GU]

1970

The business was still trading under the name Patrick Thomson.  [GU]

1976

The business became Arnotts.   [MC]

1981

Arnotts closed. [MC]

Sources

GU Glasgow University Archive Services Administrative/Biographical History.

MC = Edinburgh Shops, Past and Present [Malcolm Cant].

 

 

Postcards  -  other pages

Patrick Thomson published postcards

 

 

__________________