Post card  -  Tuck's "Oilette" series

The GPO and Waterloo Place

at the East End of Princes Street

Tuck's Post Card  -  "Oilette" Series

Raphael Tuck "Oilette" postcard  -  St Gile's Church + Christmas Greeting

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

Enlarge this photo

      Raphael Tuck "Oilette" postcard  -  St Giles Church + Christmas Greeting

 

The GPO and Waterloo Place

Tuck's "Oilette" series

Here is  a postcard from the Raphael Tuck & Sons' "Oilette" Edinburgh series V (7523).

In this view:

- Waterloo Place leads straight ahead towards the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill

-  North Bridge leads out of the picture on the right, passing between the former General Post Office (on the left, now refurbished inside as new offices) and the North British Station Hotel on the right, now the Balmoral Hotel)

-  Leith Street (not visible in this picture leads out of the picture on the left, behind the statue of the Duke of Wellington on horseback.

This card was sent through the post in 1911.

Tuck's description on the back of this card reads:

"Waterloo Place, Edinburgh, planned in 1815 (the year of the battle), by its construction not only beautified the city, but also served a very useful purpose, for it demolished the old and unsavoury suburb of Calton.

It crosses the ravine known as the Low Calton by the Regent Bridge, a single arch with a span of 50 feet, and about the same height."

 

GPO

Raphael Tuck Postcards

Around Edinburgh

 

__________________