North from the Royal Mile, crossing
Anchor Close leads to the north and south
from the centre of Cockburn Street.
- To the south, the close leads up the stairs to Edinburgh Royal
- To the north, the close leads down a few stairs towards Market
Street, but there is no exit into Market Street.
The close was named after the Anchor Tavern which opened here around
1715. [A Guide to the Royal Mile
photograph above looks from the northern part of the close, up the hill
towards Cockburn Street.