The photograph, taken
by Valentine & Co some time
before 1871, comes from the collection in St Andrews University Library,
which has a large archive of Valentine photographs and postcards.
The photo shows a quiet scene, looking SE towards the General Post
Office at the East End of Princes Street. The back wheels of
carriage can be seen, heading east towards Waterloo Place, behind the
plinth of the statue to the Duke of Wellington.
The foundation stone of the GPO was laid in 1861 by Prince Albert.
The building opened in 1866. It was extended in 1891.