Field Gun and Guard of Honour
at the entrance to
© Copyright: Peter Stubbs Photograph taken January 14, 2011
This photo was taken on January 14, 2011, when a ceremony was arranged by the One o' Clock Gun & Time Ball Association to lay a wreath at Greyfriars' Bobby's gravestone in front of Greyfriars' Church.
Greyfriars' Bobby Story
Greyfriars' Bobby was a Skye terrier that sat at his master's grave daily for fourteen years, from his master's death in 1858. He used to leave the grave only for food, recognising the one o'clock gun his signal to go for his lunch.
The one o' clock gun marks its 150th anniversary in 2011. It has been fired from Edinburgh Castle to indicate the time to shipping in the Firth of Forth and others. The gun is fired daily, except on Sundays, Good Friday and Christmas Day.
The Field Gun
The field gun in this photo looks similar to the gun now used (in 2011) to fire the One o' Clock Gun, a 105mm field gun fired from Mills Mount Battery (beside the Café in Edinburgh Castle0 by the District Gunner.
The One o' Clock gun was first fired on June 7, 1861. It was originally a 64-pounder mounted on Half Moon Battery.
Please click here to read more about the One O'Clock Gun.
The cadets, on the left, forming a Guard of Honour at the entrance to Greyfriars' graveyard come from George Heriot's Combined Cadet Force. The School is situated immediately to the west of the graveyard.
Greyfriars' Bobby Ceremony - More Photos
Please click here to see more photos of this Greyfriars' Bobby Ceremony