Field Gun and Truck
Greyfriars' Bobby's Bar
© Copyright: Peter Stubbs Photograph taken January 14, 2011
This photo was taken on January 14, 2011, when a ceremony was arranged by the One o' Clock Gun & Time Ball Association to lay a wreath at Greyfriars' Bobby's gravestone in front of Greyfriars' Church.
Greyfriars' Bobby Story
Greyfriars' Bobby was a Skye terrier that sat at his master's grave daily for fourteen years, from his master's death in 1858. He used to leave the grave only for food, recognising the one o'clock gun his signal to go for his lunch.
The one o' clock gun marks its 150th anniversary in 2011. It has been fired from Edinburgh Castle to indicate the time to shipping in the Firth of Forth and others. The gun is fired daily, except on Sundays, Good Friday and Christmas Day.
The Field Gun
The field gun in this photo looks similar to the gun now used (in 2011) to fire the One o' Clock Gun, a 105mm field gun fired from Mills Mount Battery (beside the Café in Edinburgh Castle0 by the District Gunner.
The One o' Clock gun was first fired on June 7, 1861. It was originally a 64-pounder mounted on Half Moon Battery.
Here are more comments about the One o' Clock Gun.
The Army Truck
This truck is the type often used by the army as a gun tractor for towing field guns. It is a Pinzgauer 718 High Mobility All Terrain 6-wheel drive vehicle. There is also an equivalent 4-wheel vehicle, the Pinzgauer 716.
Greyfriars' Bobby Ceremony - More Photos
Please click here to see more photos of this Greyfriars' Bobby Ceremony