Around Edinburgh

Mansfield Traquair Centre

15 Mansfield Place, Broughton, Edinburgh

 

Photographs  -  2006

   Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh

Mansfield Traquair Centre

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh

Mansfield Traquair Centre

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh

Mansfield Traquair Centre

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  Stained glass windows and murals

Stained Glass and Murals

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  Mural in South Chapel

Mural in South Chapel

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  The Chancel Arch and Baldacchino

Chancel Arch and Baldacchino

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  The West Wall

West Wall

  

Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  The West Wall

West Wall

   Mansfield Traquair Centre, Broughton Street, Edinburgh  -  The West Wall

West Wall

 

Mansfield Traquair Centre

Location

The Mansfield Traquair Centre is a former Catholic Apostolic Church building at Mansfield Place, beside the roundabout at the foot of Broughton Street.

It is now the national headquarters of the Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations.

Catholic Apostolic Church

The church was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson and built between 1873 and 1885.  It has stained glass by  Ballantine and is best known for its large murals painted in the 1890s by the Arts and Crafts artist, Phoebe Anna Traquair (1852-1936).

The Catholic Apostolic Church was established in 1835, set up under apostolic rule, anticipating the imminent Second Coming of Christ.  The church gradually became extinct during the 20th century. Its last priest died in 1971.  Some groups associated with the Catholic Apostolic Church still continue to meet in Scotland and elsewhere in Europe.

Mansfield Traquair Trust

The Mansfield Traquair Trust was established in 1993 to preserve the  Mansfield Traquair church and its murals. Renovation of the building was completed in 2002 and the restoration of the murals was completed in 2005.

The Friends of the Mansfield Traquair Centre provide tours of the building and its murals, once a month on Sunday afternoons, throughout the year, and more frequently during the Edinburgh Festival each August.

Viewing the Murals

The Mansfield Traquair Trust web site  gives details of when the murals by Phoebe Anna Traquair on the walls of the Mansfield Traquair Centre, formerly a Catholic Apostolic Church at Mansfield Place,  Broughton, Edinburgh can be viewed.

 

 

Around Edinburgh

 

 

 

__________________