Odeon Cinema

7 Clerk Street, Edinburgh

 Odeon Cinema

Odeon Cinema, 7 Clerk Street, Edinburgh

  Reproduced with acknowledgement to Ben Dowell.  For further photos please see Mawgrim's Odeon Cavalcade web site

 

New Victoria / Odeon Cinema  -  7 Clerk Street, Edinburgh

Thank you to Gordon Barr for providing the details below.  These details are taken from Gordon's Scottish Cinemas and Theatres web site:

Here is an extract from Gordon's description of the cinema:

The New Victoria

1930-1964

   New Victoria Cinema, 7 Clerk Street, Edinburgh

"The New Victoria opened on 25 August 1930.  It was designed for the Gaumont Company by the architects WE Trent & JW Jordan, with seating for 2,058.

Cinemascope was installed in 1954.

The auditorium was also modernised, and lights were fitted to the ceiling to create the effect of a sitting out under a starry sky in 1960. The seating was also reduced to around 1,784."

The Odeon

1964 - 2003

   Odeon Cinema, 7 Clerk Street, Edinburgh

"In April 1964, the building was renamed the Odeon.

In 1974, the building was B-listed as, in the words of Historic Scotland, 'An outstanding example of the work of the most famous British cinema specialists.'

The stage was made deeper in 1978, and the building was often used for live music shows such as 'The Clash'.

In 1982, the auditorium was subdivided, with two new cinemas created in the original rear stalls area.

 In 1989, two more screens were created.

In 2003, Odeon sold the building to a property developer.

The cinema closed on 30th August 2003.

Gordon Barr

 

Recollections of a Projectionist

Photos  -  Around Edinburgh

Recollections  -  More Pages

Recollections  -   Contributors

 

Gordon Barr's web site:

Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Odeon
Recent news

Edinburgh Cinemas

 

 

__________________