Beside the Water of Leith, Stockbridge
Statue to Hygieia, Greek goddess of health in the
centre of the temple
Photo taken: July 2, 2010
St Bernard's well is a
mineral spring on the south bank of the Water of Leith, between
Stockbridge and Dean. Legend has it that the well was first
discovered in the 12th century. It was rediscovered in 1760
and became a popular resort in the 1860s.
JK Gillon web site
Pump Room and
In 1789, work began on
the present pump room and circular temple, commissioned from
Alexander Naysmyth (1758-1840), father
of the amateur etcher and painter, James Naysmith (1808-1890).
Here is a photo of St Bernard's well taken
by Thomas Vernon Begbie, showing how the well looked in the
mid-19th century - very similar to today !
Statue of Hygieia
The temple is based on
Sybils' Temple at Tivoli. It has has ten Doric columns with
a statue to Hygieia, the Greek goddess of health, in the centre.
The original statue
was sculpted in 1791 in Coade
stone, a ceramic material that Mrs Eleanor Coade (1733-1821) described as 'artificial
The statue was replaced in 1888 by a figure carved by the
Edinburgh sculptor David Watson Stevenson (1842-1904).
Most of the details above have been taken from the
web sites. Other details are from the
Ratho History web
Please click on the
thumbnail image below to zoom-out to see a view looking up to the