St Mungo's Church and

Lockhart Memorial Church

 

   View from NE  -  from Albion Place

                                      St Mungo's Church                  Lockhart Memorial Church

St Mungo's Church and Lockhart Memorial Church

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                 Photograph taken 1 February 2004

   View from NW  -  from the corner of Albion Place and Albion Road

                         St Mungo's Church                         Lockhart Memorial Church

St Mungo's Church and Lockhart Memorial Church

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                Photograph taken 1 February 2004

St Mungo's Church and Lockhart Memorial Church

Albion Place and Albion Road

The two buildings above, like many of Edinburgh's old churches, no longer serve as churches.

The second photograph above is taken from the corner of:

-  Albion Place, leading out of the picture to the left, and

-  Albion Road, leading out of the picture to the right.

Both roads were built around 1899.

St. Mungo's Church

The building on the left, now a church hall, was built in 1901.  I believe this was originally St Mungo's Church.  It can be seen on the 1925 map  below,

The Lockhart Memorial Church was not yer built in 1925, so St Mungo's church can be seen standing alone, to the west of the Hibernian Football Stadium.

The high new stands of the Hibernian Football Stadium, built in the 1990s, can be seen in the second photograph above, behind St Mungo's Church.

Lockhart Memorial Church

Lockhart Memorial Church, considerably larger than the original St Mungo's Church was built in 1927 with money left by the sister of Dr Robert Lockhart, Minister for Colinton, 1861-1902.

The Lockhart Memorial Church was dissolved in 1987, so now neither of the buildings above serves as a church.

Source of much of the church history above:  "The Kirks of Edinburgh" by Ian Dunlop

 

1925 Map

St Mungo's Church is marked 'Est Ch' (Established Church). It is a single building, on the south side of Albion Place.  (centre-right on the map.)  It is to the south of Eastern Cemetery and to the west of Hibernian Football Ground.

Edinburgh map  -  1925  -  Section D

Peter Stubbs  Please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk for permission to reproduce

Other Churches                Map:  zoom-out

 

__________________