comes from the from the National Library of Scotland Map
Room's 'Town Plans / Views Collection, 1580-1919'
is dated 28 November 1836. It was drawn by Robert
Stevenson & Son, Civil Engineers.
The plan can be enlarged, by scrolling the mouse
wheel, to show some interesting details:
1. It refers to the road as being under
2. It mentions that the Duke of Buccleuch is to
make application to Parliament 'during the next session' for the
taking and levying of Tolls, Rates and Duties on the road.
2. It includes a 'longitudinal section of the
road, showing gradients of:
- 'one in 30' from the entrance to Granton
Harbour where it passes over Wardie Burn Culvert, now the junction
with Boswall Road where Royal Forth Yacht Club clubhouse was built
- 'one in 62' to a point near Wardie
Primary School, THEN
- 'one in 108' to Ferry Road.
3. It shows that the road passes through
land owned by:
- The Duke of Buccleuch (Granton Harbour to
- J D Boswall Esq. of Wardie (Boswall Road
to Ferry Road).
4. The plan also shows:
- Firth of Forth Coast from Granton Castle
- Granton Pier, Trinity Pier, Newhaven Pier
- Golden Acres and Canon Mills and loch.
- Inverleith House now part of Royal Botanic
- Comely Bank and Stockbridge and Water of
- Edinburgh New Town.
However most of the land covered by this plan
appears to be open and not yet built upon.
Peter Stubbs, Edinburgh: December 4, 2013