Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Nether Bow Port

  

Nether Bow Port

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  The Nether Bow Port

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

The Nether Bow Port

The engraving above is from an original drawing among the King's Prints & Drawings in the British Museum.

The Nether Bow Port from the High Street

The Nether Bow Port was one of the entrances into the old walled town of Edinburgh.  It was situated in the High Street, now part of the Royal Mile and lay on the boundary between Edinburgh and Canongate.

The Nether Bow Port was pulled down to improve traffic flow in the Royal Mile in 1764.  From the 1770's the walls of the Old Town of Edinburgh were gradually demolished. 
 [Buildings of Scotland, Edinburgh:  John Gifford et al.]

Reconstruction - 1886

Please click on the image below to see a reconstruction of the Nether Bow that was featured in the 'Old Edinburgh' exhibit at the 1886 International Exhibition of Science and Art at the Meadows:

Marshall Wane  -  Postcard of an exhibit in the1886 Exhibition  -  Edinburgh Old Town, Nether Bow

Nether Bow Port

 

 

 

__________________