Mint was located originally in the Outer Court in the Palace of
Holyrood, near the Horse Wynd.
In 1559, it was moved, for greater
safety, to Edinburgh Castle.
In 1574 it moved again, this time to the
building in the engraving above. This was situated where
Gray's Close meets the Cowgate, opposite High School Wynd.
Gray's Close linked the Cowgate to a
point in the Royal Mile opposite the Netherbow.
Scotland continued to produce its own
coins until the Act of Union between England and Scotland in 1707.
The building pictured above survived until the 1870s.