Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Trinity College Church

Trinity College Church

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Trinity College Church

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk


Trinity College Church

Trinity College Church use to stand in the valley to the south-west of Calton Hill, but was demolished to allow the railway to be built.  

The church was carefully demolished, and all  the stones were numbered.  It was intended that the church would be reconstructed, but the stones lay on Calton Hill for many (20?) years and a large number of them vanished.

This engraving by Butterworth & Heath shows the Church, partially rebuilt in its new site, off Jeffrey Street, quite close to its original position, but a little further south and on higher ground.