Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

British Linen Bank

British Linen Bank  -  on the east side of St Andrew Square

 Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  British Linen Bank on the east side of St Andrew Square

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

British Linen Bank

on the east side of St Andrew Square

The engraving above shows British Linen Bank's offices on the east side of  St Andrew Square.  This building is still standing, complete with its statues at roof level.  Please click on the photos below to  them.

HBoS (formerly British Linen Bank HO)

    HBOS Office, formerly British Linen Bank HO, 38 St Andrew Square    HBOS Office, formerly British Linen Bank HO, 38 St Andrew Square

This was one of the several impressive Bank Head Offices in Edinburgh in the 19th century.  This building is numbered 38-39 St Andrew Square.  It was designed by David Brice and built in 1851-52.

It became a Bank of Scotland Building following the takeover of the British Linen Bank by Bank of Scotland, then a HBoS building following the merger of Bank of Scotland and Halifax Building Society.

Scotland once had many banks, each of them issuing their own distinctive bank notes.  These have reduced to three banking groups:

is now A series of takeovers during the 18th and 19th century resulted in the wide variety of banks with their distinctive bank notes reducing to three banking groups:

The Royal Bank of Scotland, (Edinburgh)
The Bank of Scotland,  Edinburgh
Clydesdale Bank,  Glasgow 

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  The Royal Bank of Scotland in St Andrew Square

Royal Bank of Scotland
36 St  Andrew Square

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  Bank of Scotland Head Office, Bank Street, The Mound

Bank of Scotland
Head Office, The Mound

 

 

 

 

 

__________________