Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Grassmarket

Corn Exchange

 The Corn Exchange

Engraving from Grant's Old & New Edinburgh  -  The Corn Exchange in the Grassmarket

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Grassmarket

Corn Exchange

The Corn Exchange in the Grassmarket was built in 1849 and demolished in the mid-20th century.

Grant's 'Old & New Edinburgh' describes the building as being:

"in the Italian style with a handsome front of three storeys with a campanile or belfry at the north end."

"... the scene of many public festivals, the chief of which were perhaps the great Crimean banquet ...1856 ... and [one] given after the close of the Indian Mutiny."

 

 

 

__________________