Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Society

Old houses a Society

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Old houses at Society

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Society

Here are some of the old houses at Society.  The engraving is after a drawing by George W Simson.

George W Simson RSA was one of a family of artists in Edinburgh.  He was also a member of the Photographic Society of Scotland, and was in partnership briefly as Simson & McCraw, Photographers.

Society was a block of old buildings, to the east of Candlemaker Row, with open ground sloping down to the Cowgate.  They were demolished to enable Chamber Street to be built.

 

 

 

__________________