Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

George Square

George Square
west side
19th Century

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  George Square

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

George Square

George Square lies to the east of the Meadows, about half a mile to the south of St Giles Cathedral.   A few of the original houses remain, but most were demolished to make way for high rise buildings for Edinburgh University around the 1960s.

Demolition
1960

  Demolition of George Square in the 1960s

Here is a photograph of the south side of George Square, taken in 1956, or possibly 1957.

George Square
south side

   Photograph of George Square, Edinburgh

 

George Square

 

 

 

__________________