Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Pilrig House

Pilrig lies between the centre of Edinburgh and Leith.

Pilrig House faces onto the northern edge of Pilrig Park.

Pilrig Park is to the NE of Rosebank Cemetery

 

Pilrig House

Engraving in 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Pilrig House

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Pilrig House

Location

Pilrig House can be found on this 1915 map of Edinburgh.  It is to the right of the centre of the map, beside the railway line (now removed) and to the NE of Rosebank Cemetery.  It is beside the large red number VI on the map.

Engraving

This engraving by D Small was published in Cassell's 'Old & New Edinburgh' by James Grant.  The book comments: 

"The fine old but unused avenue of stately trees, that opened westward from the Walk (Leith Walk) to the old Manor House of Pilrig has now given place to a street of workmen's cottages named after the proprietor, Balfour Street."

Pilrig House
2006

   Pilrig House  -  Photograph, June 2006

Balfour Street
2006

Looking to the NW down Balfour Street, towards Pilrig Park and Pilrig House

Pilrig - including more photos of Pilrig House - 2006

 

Engravings

Thumbnail images

Edinburgh Old Town

The Royal Mile

Edinburgh Castle

Edinburgh New Town

Distant Views of Edinburgh

Around Edinburgh - North + East

Around Edinburgh - West + South

Churches

Schools

 Leith

 

 

__________________