Engraving from Old & New Edinburgh - published 1890

Leith Links

Golf on Leith Links

Engraving from 'Old & New Edinburgh'  -  Leith Links

  For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

    

Golf on Leith Links

Leith links is an open area of land, once beneath the sea.  It is now used for football and other recreations.

Claims have been made that Leith, not St Andrews is the true home of golf.

In earlier days Leith Links was the scene of duels, golf and cock fighting.  [O&NE].

The advert below appeared in the Caledonian Mercury Newspaper:

ADVERTISEMENT - 1721

There is a Cock Match at the Cock Pit in the Links of Leith on Saturday next, the 28 Instant, at 9 a Clock Forenoon, for a considerable Prize

Price 6 Pence for each Seat

Caledonian Mercury  26 January 1721,  Page 4,  Col 2

 

 

 

 

__________________