Granton Harbour lies on the Firth of Forth, about a mile to the west of
Newhaven, and three miles to the north of the centre of Edinburgh.
It was constructed to accommodate larger shipping than the small harbour
at Newhaven could hold.
Construction of the Central pier (running from lower left to centre on
this engraving) commenced in November 1835. The railway opened a few years
was from here to Burntisland in Fife that the first roll-on roll-off
railway ferry in the world operated from around 1849.