The Royal Institution

later named ' The National Gallery of Scotland'

 

Engraving  -   Published 1850s

Engraving of The Royal Institution  -  published 1852-59 in Pictorial History of Scotland,  by James Taylor

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

The Royal Institution

This view looks from the north, from Princes Street towards the Royal Institution, with Edinburgh Castle just visible in the background.

The Royal Institution was later named The Royal Scottish Academy. 

To the south, immediately behind the Royal Institution, but not visible in this engraving (possibly because it had not yet been built!) is the Royal Scottish Academy.   These two galleries together are known as the National Galleries of Scotaland

This engraving appeared in  'The Pictorial History of Scotland' a large book in two volumes, dedicated to Sir David Brewster, published 1852-59.

 

 

__________________