Postcards

Thirlstane Road

 

Postcard by an unidentified publisher  -  Thirlstane Road

  Copyright: To reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Pack of Postcards by an unidentified publisher  -  Lauderdale Street

  Copyright: To reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Postcards

Thirlstane Road

Thirlstane Road lies a short distance to the south of Bruntsfield Links, and about a mile to the south of Princes Street.  It was built on land owned by George Warrender, Lord Provost of Edinburgh, 1713-14.  George Waterston's grandfather was the Earl of Lauderdale, whose seat is Thirlstane Castle.

[Ref:  Notes by Charles B Boog Watson in History and Derivation of Edinburgh Street Names:  Edinburgh Corporation City Engineers Dept]

  The cards were sold in packs of eight , packed in a window envelope, with a sheet of tissue between each card.

This street of tenements is typical of many that were built in Edinburgh in the late 19th century.  The car parked in the street may give a clue as to when the photograph was taken - possibly around 1920?  

The buildings in this view appear very similar today [2004] - but today it might be difficult to find a parking space.

 

 

All Postcards

 

 

__________________