James Court lies a short distance to the north of the Lawnmarket, close
to the top of the Royal Mile. There are three entries to it passing
under the buildings of the Lawnmarket:
- West Entry
- Mid Entry
- East Entry
The original buildings, built around 1725 by James Brownhill (from whom
the court takes its name) were destroyed by fire and replaced in 1857.