Sculptures at the top of Leith Walk outside St Mary's Cathedral

Hand

by

Eduardo Paolozzi

  

 Sculptures on the pavement outside St Mary's Cathedral at the top of Leith Walk  - 'Hand'  by Eduardo Paolozzi

  Peter Stubbs  -  peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk                                                                                                 Photo taken 6 October 2005

 

Enlarge this photo

    Sculptures on the pavement outside St Mary's Cathedral at the top of Leith Walk  - 'Hand'  by Eduardo Paolozzi

Hand
from other side

View towards the Omni Centre from in front of St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral, with sculpture by Eduardo Paolozzi in the foreground

Foot

Eduardo Paolozzi sculptures

 

Paolozzi Sculpture

Sculptures

This is one of thee large sculptures installed in 1991 on the pavement outside  St Mary's Roman Catholic Cathedral at the top of Leith Walk.

The Cathedral can be seen in the background.  Children from Primary 7 classes throughout Edinburgh are arriving at the Cathedral to attend 11am Mass.

The church in the background on the right hand side of this picture is St Paul's Episcopal Church in York Place

Engraving in 'Modern Athens'  -  St Paul's Church in York Place

Eduardo Paolozzi

The sculptor, Eduardo Paolozzi was born in Leith to Italian parents in 1924.  He attended the Edinburgh College of Art in 1943 but was called up for service in the army the following year.  He later attended London's Slade School, then travelled to Paris.

His studio has been recreated in the Dean Gallery, Edinburgh.

He was awarded an Honorary Degree by Edinburgh University in February 2005.  He died in April 2005, aged 81.

 

__________________