Thank you to Alex Jackson for sending the two photos above that he took
of Pleasance, 36 years apart. Both photos look down Pleasance to the
cross roads at the foot of the hill:
- St Mary's Street, straight ahead leading to Netherbow, Royal
- Cowgate, to the left leading to Grassmarket
- Holyrood to the right leading to Holyrood Palace
Between 1975 and 2011:
- The tenements and shops lining Pleasance have been demolished, giving
a more open outlook with grass slopes and revealing a stretch of the
Flodden Wall, part of Edinburgh City Walls, on the left.
- Travelodge Hotel has been built in St Mary's Street
- There have been new developments at Holyrood, including The
Scottish Parliament. Note the brown tourist sign to Dynamic Earth in
the second photo.