This photo was taken on
Kodachrome film by amateur photographer,
Charles W Cushman
(1896-1972) from the USA during his visit to Edinburgh
The photo was taken on June
19, 1961, looking to the west along Princes Street from the junction of Princes
Street and South Saint Andrew Street.
A policeman is on points duty
directing three of the large batch of acquired about six years
earlier to replace Edinburgh's trams. The buses are Leyland PD2/20s
with Metro Cammell bodies.
A milk float is heading to the
west along Princes Street towards the monument to Sir Walter Scott, and a
coach is turning left into Waverley Bridge towards the vehicle entrance to
Waverley Railway Station.