There are plans to redevelop the Barnton Hotel
(which closed in 2004) and the site of the
former petrol station site beside, it to create 70 modern flats.
The Barnton Hotel is a listed building, built in
1895s. It is one of the oldest buildings in Barnton, situated on the
main road from Edinburgh to the North, about mid-way between the Centre of
Edinburgh and the Forth Road Bridge.
Barnton Railway station (which
closed in 1951) used to be situated next to Barnton Hotel.
A £10m development scheme is proposed by house
builders, Bishop Loch, who plan to retain the listed parts of the hotel,
including its tower.
Work is expected to begin in 2005 if the proposal
receives detailed planning permission. An earlier proposal to
convert the Hotel into flats met with local opposition
[Most of the details above
are taken from Edinburgh Evening News 2 February 2005, p. 19]