Dr Bell's School was a prominent 19th century
building with a Tudor facade, situated in Great Junction Street, Leith.
It had a small indoor swimming pool.
The school was built in 1835-39 in memory
of Dr Andrew Bell who developed a system of older pupils tutoring younger,
whilst in India, a method later used in more than 10,000 schools.
Dr Bell endowed £10,000 to the school in 1831.
He died in 1932