Tower is beside the Water of Leith, at the north end of the Shore,
close to the entrance to Leith Docks. Here are some brief
comments about the tower's history.
"In 1685 the King's Master Mason, Robert
Milne, was granted land along the shore to build a sea wall to
protect timber stores in Timber Bush, and also to build a windmill.
This was one of three windmills in
Leith: the stone tower, now standing, was originally capped by
The battlements were built during the
Napoleonic War when the tower became a Signal Tower, relaying flag
messages to incoming ships."
The comments above are taken from a notice
board at the Shore erected by the City of Edinburgh District Council,
Forth Ports Authority and the Water of Leith Conservation Trust.