Postcard

 Published by  James J McCulloch & Co, Edinburgh

Trinity

Earl Haig Gardens

 

Earl Haig Gardens

J M Postcard  -  Caledonia Series  -  Granton Square

  Copyright: For permission to reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

Enlarge this View

   J M Postcard  -  Trinity  -  Earl Haig Gardens

 

 A view from same position

2006

   Earl Haig Gardens - looking from the NE corner to SW corner of the gardens  -   2006

 

Trinity

Earl Haig Gardens

This view is taken from a postcard published by J M & Co. Ltd.  The card was posted from Edinburgh to Hull, England in 1926.

Thank you to Ann Hamilton, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, Scotland who sent me the following details about Earl Haig Gardens.

Ann wrote:

Scottish Veterans Garden City Association

The Scottish Veterans Garden City Association (Inc) was founded during the 1st World War by a group of five professional people in Edinburgh who noted the plight of wounded Veterans returning from the front who had little or no prospects of suitable accommodation or employment ahead of them.

Houses in Scotland

From this, a large network of volunteers grew up to raise funds and to acquire land on which to build houses.  The estate consist of 594 houses on 72 sites in 41 Districts covering Scotland from the English Border to the line of the Great Glen.  the largest District is Edinburgh, Leith and Lothians which looks after 191 houses on 13 sites of which is the houses at Earl Haig Gardens is one. 

Earl Haig Gardens

Earl Haig Gardens are now B Listed and at present an extensive refurbishment to the exterior is ongoing.  In the area where the children are playing you will notice in the right hand side as cherry tree which was planted by King George and Queen Mary on the 23rd July 1923.  This tree still stands to this day.

Ann Hamilton, Bonnyrigg, Midlothian, Scotland:  August 4, 2006

Please click on the image below to see some views of Earl Haig Gardens in 2006.

 

Thumbnail Images

J M Postcards                           Trinity                            Granton

 

 

 

__________________