J R Russell, Edinburgh  -  Postcards

Calton Jail

 

Postcard published by John R Russel of Edinburgh (JRRE)  -  Calton Jail

  Copyright: To reproduce, please contact peter.stubbs@edinphoto.org.uk

 

Calton Jail

This postcard was posted on 31 August 1905.

Calton Jail was situated on the southern side of Regent Road, close to the railway line as it emerged from Edinburgh Waverley to the east.

The jail was demolished in the 1930s to allow the government offices, St Andrew's House, to be built.  Now only the Governor's House [extreme left] survives.

The Governor's House for the old Calton Jail  -   Photographed August 2002

The black and white postcard above was published, by J R Russell of Edinburgh.  This view looks from the south towards the jail, perhaps from a position close to the Carlton Hotel in North Bridge.  This view looks across the Waverley Valley with its railway line, towards the jail, with Calton Hill in the background.  Nelson Monument, on Calton Hill, is on the right of the picture.

Enlarge this View

      Postcard published by John R Russel of Edinburgh (JRRE)  -  Calton Jail 

 

J R Russell, Edinburgh

 JRRE:  Postcard Views

 

Calton Jail

Other Views Around Edinburgh

 

 

__________________