Until the mid-20th century the harbour continued to be used by
commercial shipping and fishing trawlers, and yachts owned by members of
the Royal Forth Yacht Club and the Forth Corinthian Yacht Club.
Several different boats have operated the ferry service across the
Firth of Forth, between Granton and Burntisland. Burntisland is in
the 'Kingdom of Fife'. The Firth of Forth is about five miles wide
at this point.
With the opening of the Forth Rail Bridge in 1890 and the Forth
Road Bridge in 1964, few people now cross the Firth of Forth by
There have been occasional plans, in recent years, to operate ferries
again between Granton and Burntisland, but to date none have materialised
other than a catamaran that ran for a couple of summers around 1990.